Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Sign, Sign, Everywhere a sign.

You know what really grinds my gears? People in the western suburbs don't know how to drive. It's not like it is in the southern suburbs where people just drive like maniacs, or in the north where people speed and don't look where they're going. No, in the western suburbs of Minneapolis people can't read a fucking street sign. The most common mistranslation comes from the difficult french sign "Yield". I know these can be difficult, being an upside-down triangle and all, but we all learned at the age of 15 what a damn yield sign is, and what it means. My drive home from work consists of driving directly west on a commonly travelled highway, not a freeway or an interstate, but a highway. There are intersections with lights, etc. At these intersections there are entrance lanes for people to enter the highway, but they are marked with that upside-down triangle. I wonder if people don't see them, because that reflective white and red can be difficult, especially at night. Mainly, I think people assume they have some sort of entitlement to the road 20 feet directly ahead of their car, which means I am supposed to be aware that they are coming into my lane, in rush hour traffic, and it is my job to accomodate their car. Fuck that. I have NUMEROUS times had people come out directly as I am getting to them, and I have purposely kept side by side with them so they ride the shoulder, and into a ditch if they don't knock it the hell off. They look over at me, like I'm doing something wrong, when it is me who is obeying all local laws and regulations, maintaining speed and within the lane that I am travelling. So, to those of you who need a refresher - Yield means, stay the fuck put until you can safely and easily enter traffic.

Tomorrow:
SEATTLE over San Francisco

1 Comments:

At 12/14/2006 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HERE HERE!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home